Monday, January 5, 2009

Sorta Like Riding A Bike?

I had not taught class in 17 days.
And today, the first day back from break, it felt like....17 years.

As the lovely students came pouring into my room,
desperately seeking knowledge about American Literature,
(as normal high schoolers do, of course)
I got up front and felt...

uncomfortable.

"Why are they all looking at me?!"
Raced through my mind.
Am I student teaching again?! Because seriously...
this is...
weird.

Because I lack a normal ability to hold back what I am thinking,
I asked them.

"Why are you all just staring at me?!"
To which they laughed.

"Don't you want us to look at you, Ms. Scheffers?"

I laughed some more.
"Well, good point. Probably tomorrow I will be saying,
"HEY! LOOK AT ME WHEN I AM TALKING TO YOU!"

But for that moment, it felt weird to have 27 pairs of eyes
looking at me in expectation.

But then I began, as I have a million times before...
and it almost felt like riding a bike.

No comments: