Monday, January 12, 2009

Snowbound

So all night long the storm roared on:
The morning broke without a sun;
In tiny spherule traced with lines Of Nature's geometric signs,
And, when the second morning shone,
We looked upon a world unknown,
On nothing we could call our own.
Around the glistening wonder bent
The blue walls of the firmament,
No cloud above, no earth below, --
A universe of sky and snow!
--John Greenleaf Whittier

The snow has been ABOUNDING lately.
It's pretty, in an oh-now-I-have to-brush-my
car-for-the-tenth-time-today-kinda-way.
But still pretty.

Above is an excerpt from Whittier's poem,
"Snowbound." Rumor has it that English
teachers have the power to bring about a snow
day just by reading this poem.
So I read it, to myself, in hope.
It may not be as effective as reading it in class,
but I could REALLY use a grading day tomorrow.
Immensely.

So I figured...
what is there to lose?

I might read it again before I go to bed.
Shamelessly.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

keep reading... looks like the storm is just starting to get going, over here at least!

Anonymous said...

I started to read this poem by that guy and thought it was you writing this and thought, Wow! Kristin is using quite the big words: spherule, firmament...then I saw that it was John Greenleaf Whittier. Ha Ha. Great poem. Sorry it didn't work. I think all Kazoo schools did report today...bummer. There is alway hope for tomorrow. Happy grading.