Thursday, December 18, 2008

More Than A Baby

It's Christmas.

I have barely recognized it yet because I have been too busy with teaching. But I was thinking about it today. Christmas. The birth of Christ. A pretty big deal, right? The Savior of the world born to us. For us. To be with us: fools, sinners, and evil doers.

But somehow, despite these extraordinary events, I have not felt their power this season.
I have heard the story a million times.
I wake up every morning with the realization that Jesus came for me.
He died for me. He set me free.

And I walk by.
and on.
and away.

But I am left wondering, why don't I sense the power of Christmas? Shouldn't those who don't believe see its power during this season? Its immense joy that it brings to the hearts of believers?

Yet, how am I supposed to display its power to the world when I don't sense it? As I was thinking about this, I thought of one reason that I don't think I am sensing the power of Christmas. I think its at least, in part, because I see Jesus, during Christmas time, as a little baby in a manager.
Completely helpless.
Sure, He's God....sort of, right?

I realized that I need to remind myself that he is not just a helpless baby in a manger:

15He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. 17He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy."
Colossians 1: 15-18

This shows no sign meekness. Or weakness. Or helplessness. In Him, ALL things hold together. He has the supremacy over all rulers and authorities on earth and heaven.

This Christmas, I want to recognize the beauty, the joy, and might that this little baby brought to earth: the joy he brought to give us hope in a broken world, to give us eternal life; the beauty he brought to earth in unconditional love, forgiveness, and healing; the power that he brought to change the hearts of men, to rule over and in our lives with goodness and truth.

As I think about these things, I start to sense the power of Christmas. For this little baby has changed my life, has given me all hope and truth and guidance. This little baby has the power, even today, to change the world, to bring light into every darkness, to heal every disease and broken heart, to rescue us from the depths of sin. There is so much hope and power in that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder of the Christ of Christmas. Beautiful.