Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Freudian Slip?

I said the word "syphilis" in my American Lit class today.

Yes, syphilus. The one and only. The STD that currently infects 36, 000 people in America.

I meant to say that Huckleberry feigned SMALLPOX, yet somehow--syphilis came out.

No one would have noticed, including myself, if hadn't been for the boy in the back with the red hair.

As a teacher, I have learned that there will always be the boy in the back (with the red hair) who will declare my mistake to the world....

or just to 24 sophomores.

"Did ms. scheffers just say syphilis?"

The class erupted.

So....what did I do?

I laughed. For five whole minutes, it seemed. Because I figure that in situations like this, all I can do is laugh. At least I didn't say "shit," right?

Oh wait, that was last year.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

only in a highschool classroom is the word "syphillis" even that funny. i love that you said it. and then joined the laughter.

ps- i just blogged about you. that's right, you're on your way to being famous now.

B. Irv said...

You should have asked for some Penicillin :)