Friday, March 6, 2009

Tap...Tap...Tap....(AAAAHH)

I am not overly afraid of much--not of the dark,
not of rollercoasters, of getting dirty, or getting
knocked down in an athletic game.

After all, my brothers would have never let me
get away with that.

But there is one thing...specifically...that turns me into this
girly, screeching, oh-no, AAAAHHH stressed out!! person.

And that thing is...critters.

Last year, I had mice living in my apartment. I didn't
eat breakfast for a straight week because I would hear
the sounds of mice crawling and I just couldn't bear to
go in the kitchen and see one. I didn't even hardly turn
on a light in the morning.

When I looked at the mouse traps, I had to take a deep breath
each and every time because I was engrossed in fear.

Then today, all the sudden I hear.....

Tap tap tap TAP TAP........tap.
sounding uncomfortably....close.

I look outside, and right on my porch ceilingish is this
big hole with a mystery
ENORMOUS CRITTER chewing at the wood.
(okay, its probably not THAT enormous, but in my mind it is...)

The first things I think--besides OH NO--is, mmm....
can that critter chew through the wall--the wall that
is right by my bed?

My dad does a great job of calming my fears by saying
that the critter CAN chew through the wall if it can chew
through wood. Thanks dad. :)

And so, here I am. Significantly more uneasy than I was five
minutes before. Trying to think of anything but the critter,
and somehow thinking of NOTHING else but the critter.

All I think about is my greatest fear--waking up with a
CRITTER in my bed!!!

And the conclusion I came to is...

It's official--I am a critter pansy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess you got it from me. I freak at the sight of a mouse. A fact to which all 3 of my children can confirm. Just remember...you are much bigger than the critter and he is much more afraid of you. Easy to say, right? Call the landlord.

Anonymous said...

Dad also said the critter probably has a comfy home in the insulation with some food stored up there and has no intentions to invade your home. So, sleep well. But if you are a real pansy, your bedroom is still available on Woodmont!

Michelle said...

oh kristin, this is the stuff of many nightmares for me. bryan can testify how many times i've woken up in the MIDDLE of the night CONVINCED there is some kind of critter in our bed. i sometimes run out of the room. glad to have a sister-friend in the critter-pansy club :)