Tuesday, February 24, 2009

All This Beauty

In American Literature, we read the short story called
"Dr. Heidegger's Experiment" by Nathaniel Hawthorne.

To summarize, it basically tells the story of Dr. Heidegger,
a man who finds the fountain of youth and has his four old
friends drink from it--becoming young again.

Upon drinking the water, the four old friends immediately
fall back into youthful foolishness and sin.

They do not carry their "wisdom" gained from age
and they repeat past mistakes from their youth.

When they spill the water from the fountain of youth and
return to their old age, they are all left discontented.
They will do anything to be young again.

They spend the rest of their lives in search of the
fountain of youth-- which they never find.
Their lives end up much worse at the end
than they were at the beginning.

This story displays youth in a very stereotypical way:
foolish. rash. sinful. seeking immediate gratification.
without logic. without reason. without wisdom.

After all, there is beauty is what these characters lack.
There is beauty in logic. in reason. in practicality.
in delayed gratification. in "thinking things through."

But even in the midst of their faults,
I realized that there is also beauty within these faults.
in "foolish" mistakes, in the unknown, in the adventure,
in risks, in youthful confidence and hope,
which these characters did not lack.

If I have learned anything from my faith in God,
it is that the logical or simple answer is
not always the right one.

The logical, comfortable answer does not always
require much faith.
Does not require as much dependence upon God.
Because it allows us to rest in
wordly circumstance and earthly security.

If I believe in the All-powerful God, the Almighty, the Creator,
the Great Healer and Miracle worker, why do I always search
for the simple, logical, practical answer? Why do I always
insist upon limiting God's influence in my life?

Why do I always doubt His ability to perform wonders beyond
my imagination or understanding?

My logic is nothing compared to His. My thoughts are completely
inferior to His. My plans pale in comparison to His.
He is incomprehensible.

And yet, I consistently try to comprehend everything that He is.
And everything He is doing.

I fear any answer that He gives me that does make
complete sense at the time, especially when the answer
seems to bring more questions.

There is beauty in foolishness. In trust. In leaps.
In listening to His voice over our desire to understand everything.
In following His guidance despite the doubtful worries.

After all, Jesus said that we must become like children.
Have a child-like faith.
And let's be honest, children are a little foolish.

And a little wonderful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said. You are wise beyond your 23 years (almost 24). There are questions in life that really have no immediate answers...like, why do they schedule soccer games at 10:30 at night. Isn't that AFTER bedtime?