Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Oh The Small Things

The boy in the fourth row, fourth seat back--spoke today.

Raised his hand...and spoke. In my Freshman English class.

This would not seem like a big deal--
but I have never heard him speak before.

In 13 weeks.

He has mumbled a few times, nodded his head, but never...spoken.

His eyes stare down at the floor from 10:50,
when class begins, until 11:40, when class ends...
every day.

I have barely been able to prod a word from him all semester.

Then today, I asked...
"does anyone know what an aristocrat is?"

And he RAISED his hand. Of course, I called on him,
in half shock and disbelief.

And he said...
"wealthy or noble people who are well-respected in society"
in an articulate and nonchalant way,
as if he answers questions like this all the time.

WHAT?!?! Where did this come from?

The other students jaws drop--completely astounded.
I hear them whispering...
"wow" and "I didn't even know that"
under their breaths.
One student even started to applaud him
because he was so surprised.

I know I didn't I have anything to do with this--but I am amazed.

It reminds me not to give up on people.

Small Victory.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Very cool. One of the small, but huge perks of being a teacher, I'm sure. And, he probably never imagined he'd be the subject of a blog.