Saturday, January 9, 2010

Prayer

Jesus,

Show me how to let go of my need for perfection.
"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."

Allow me to dwell in grace.
"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Therefore,
do not let yourselves be burdened by the yoke of slavery."

Show me how to get rid of judgment and malice towards others.
"Let us love one another, for love is from God,
and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God."

Show me how to let go of worry and doubt.
"In Me you may have peace.
In this world you will have trouble. But take heart!
I have overcome the world."

Teach me how let go of the things I cannot understand.
"surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life."

Help me let go of my pride.
"Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
Who, being in very nature God...made himself nothing..."

Move my heart to prayer.
"the prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective."

Help me rest in the knowledge that You are enough.
"Your grace is sufficient for me."

Remind me of what is true.
You are "the way, the truth, the life."

Show me how to put my beliefs into action.
"Then Peter got out of the boat, walked on water,
and came toward Jesus."

Fill me with love and compassion for those in need.
"I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least
of these brothers of mine, you did for me."

Help me not to focus on outward beauty or material possessions.
"Beauty fades, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised."

Grant me joy in You alone.
"I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.
I can do everything through him who gives me strength."

Reveal more to me about who You are.
"Behold, the Lamb, who takes away the sin of the world!"

Help me have confidence in who You have made me to be.
"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Your works are wonderful, I know that full well."

Help me be strong.
"God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power,
of love and of self-discipline."

Give me the strength to be bold.
"I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ, for it is the power
of God unto salvation--to every one that believes."

Do not let the sin and brokenness of the world overcome me.
"I will fear no evil, for You are with me."

Guide me to truth in every situation.
"If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives
generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."

Increase my desire to be transformed.
"Search me, O God, and know my heart;
point out anything in me that offends you
and lead me along the path of everlasting life."

Teach me to accept difficulty.
"For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses,
insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities.
For when I am weak, then I am strong."

Allow me to trust Your goodness.
"I will be glad and rejoice in your unfailing love...
for you have seen my troubles,
but You have set me in a safe place."

Move my heart to be in awe of Your greatness.
"Who else has held the oceans in his hand?
Who has measured off the heavens with his fingers?
Who else knows the weight of the earth
or has weighed the mountains and hills on a scale?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth."

Even though I will struggle many times with these things,
help me to listen to Your voice.
"Take heart, my child. Your sins are forgiven...."

2 comments:

mom said...

Beautiful prayer. I'd like to borrow it if I may.

Kristin said...

haha--the concept of borrowing a prayer is funny to me. But I think I know what you mean. And you may borrow it, and I promise I won't even ask you for it back. :)